Friday, June 08, 2012

A Long Distance Telephone Plan and "65"

My sister-in-law, Marilee, lives in Newfoundland but she came to Florida this winter and learned how to play "65".  This card game was the game of the winter for us and we played it at least 3 nights a week at the park.  Marilee loved the game just as much as the rest of us and tonight invited 5 of her friends to a nice dinner with cards afterwards.


I'd just settled down to a quiet evening of playing games on the computer (not near as much fun as playing with a bunch of buddies in Florida) when the phone rang.  It was Marilee asking me to help remind her how to play "65".  She had her friends,Paulette, Linda, Shirley, Ellen, and Sheila patiently waiting while Marilee called long distance to Ontario for instructions.  I'm assuming she has a generous long distance plan on her phone.


I explained as best I could long distance, all the while wishing I was there with them because they sounded like they were having a great time.  We got through 3 cards, then 4 when I felt they understood it well enough for me to leave them on their own.  It isn't a difficult game but I'm not sure how many healthy drinks were being consumed around the table.  The bunch in Florida never drink during a game because we can manage to screw it up royally without ever touching a drop.


Thanks to the beauty of a long distance telephone plan, Marilee is free to call me again if they get into trouble.  I would really love to be there with them, though!   

2 comments:

bluebird of paradise said...

Thanks for your help. By the end of the evening, everyone loved the game. So it will become a favourite I hope. It was so funny when I was trying to teach them how to play. We dealt the three cards, then threw them down.it really didn't make sense till we put the deck in the middle of the table to draw from.. an important piece I forgot to write down.
love
M

patsyrose said...

I kept wishing we lived closer so I could come over and play with you and your friends. You all sounded like you were having a wonderful time.