Thursday, June 07, 2012

Hidden Talents

I just watched an interesting spot on the news channel about a man who became a piano virtuoso after a severe blow to the head.  He'd had no piano training in his life but did play the guitar so there was some musical ability prior to his injury.  After his injury, he was drawn to sit at a friend's piano and immediately began playing as though he'd had classical training.  Doctors believe the blow unleashed a "savant" ability in his brain but they really don't know anything for certain.


This is all part and parcel of my belief that, since we use only 10% of our brains, we are all potential geniuses or seers.  We only need the knowledge on how to tap into these potentials hidden away in the other 90%.


I was thinking earlier that my interest in writing is hampered by my inability to follow through with anything requiring lengthy commitment.  In other words, I tend to jump from one project to another in order to stave off boredom.  To be a good writer you need to stick to it and I've chosen to scatter my interests.  On another blog, I did stick to it for longer than usual and wrote a few chapters of a novel I'd carried in my head for a long time.  I think I drifted away from it about 2 years ago and haven't returned.  The story line is a good one but I felt my writing wasn't so I sort of gave up.  I admire, but don't understand, how some writers can work on their novel for  years before submitting it.  I'm a lazy writer, preferring to write as I speak so blogging suits me fine.


Back to the pianist...he loves his new talent and hopes it won't disappear in time.  His injury has caused continuing headaches but he feels that's a small price to pay for the pleasure he now receives from playing the piano.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if all of us could find out just what talents lay buried in our brains?










No comments: