Saturday, July 14, 2012

Nolan's Easel

I took Nolan to Toys R Us last week to see what he'd like for his birthday but, apparently, he'd be happy with anything.  I saw a nice easel that I thought would be a perfect present but asked him if he had one.  "Yes", he said so I left without buying one only to find out he doesn't personally have one, it's at the babysitter's!  I'd forgotten that children live in the moment and believe anything they have use of belongs to them.  Luckily, I was able to order one for him and it can be picked up today.  


I like buying presents for the boys that both can use.  It doesn't seem right to not promote sharing every chance you get.  Left on their own, most children would claim every toy in the vicinity and keep it to themselves.  Nick brought the boys over on Thursday so he could cut my lawn and I got to see clear evidence of toy hoarding.  Nolan knows he has to share with Nash so he collected every toy he could manage and placed it on the lawn chair he also tried to inhabit...there was very little room for him.  This was his way of laying claim for the moment and there were still lots of toys for Nash to play with so I let him get away with it.


Children also take what you say very literally.  Kim told me of an incident when Nick was a little boy and his father took him to see a movie in Stoney Creek.  Nick had heard the commercial saying the movie could be seen at a theatre "near you" and worried himself sick that they were going to the wrong theatre because it clearly wasn't "near" his house.


I love the innocence of children and it's so much fun watching them try to make sense of the world they've been brought into.  It's also interesting to see the difference in personality between 2 or more children raised in the same household.  Nolan is very nervous about machinery (like the lawnmower) probably because of the noise and he asked me to protect him.  I spent a lot of time reassuring him that it wasn't going to hurt him...and then I looked at little Nash who was quietly and calmly watching his Daddy mow the lawn, not fearful at all.  I wondered what in Nolan's psyche made him fearful of what he didn't understand while Nash accepted it without question.  I told Nolan that his Daddy would never ever hurt him and, as that realization crept in, he became less nervous.


Nick asked me if I'd be willing to look after one of the boys for a day every 2 weeks and I jumped at the chance.  I believe it's very important to spend quality time with children so that you can bond with them.  I want my little boys to know they have a greatgramma who loves them.  The more family a child has to bond with, the stronger they'll be in the outside world.  I'll alternate between the two boys but it will have to be home care with Nash until he can climb into the car himself...he's a chunk of a baby that I have trouble lifting.


If there's anything I've learned about our purpose here on earth it's that we need to nurture our children, protect and teach them to be successful adults.  By successful, I mean happy and helpful.  I've done my best with my children and grandchildren and now it's time to pass on what I can to my greatgrandchildren.  How lucky I am.


  

No comments: