Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Looking Out My Front Door

This is my new storm/screen door where the screen opens from the top and disappears into the frame when the window is closed.  I love it!  I've always enjoyed adding small improvements to the house and this is one I've thought of doing for a long time.  I used to have a screen door on the front before the steel door was installed but foolishly had it removed.  I'd much rather have lots of windows and doors open to cool the house than have the air conditioning on.  Considering how hot this summer has been and how costly air conditioning is, I bet this door pays for itself in one season.

There's a lot of talk about global warming again and this horribly hot summer is starting to make me a believer because I've never experienced one like it.  It wasn't just hotter than usual, it was extremely hotter than usual and the high temperatures seemed to last forever.  

I haven't seem the economic impact of using the air conditioning for most of the summer yet but figure it might be in the $500 vicinity.  The only other time I had a hydro bill like that was when Dennis was dying and needed the doors open for fresh air even while the air conditioning was on.  Whatever made him most comfortable was what we did.  

Well, now I can take advantage of the cooler morning and evening breezes that will waft through my new storm/screen door.  We've finally left the 90's-100's and the temperatures are down to the lovely 70's-80's...perfect!  

No comments: