Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Hope Springs

Faye, Donna, and I went to see "Hope Springs" today and it was pretty good.  Meryl Streep couldn't be bad if she tried and Tommy Lee Jones might just have become my favorite male actor.  The movie wasn't academy award material but the audience sure laughed a lot all through it, probably because we older people could relate to a lot of the scenes.

I'm not going to ruin the movie for anyone by saying too much so I'll just say that I'm glad I took the time to see it.

Marriages are very different for different people and they either survive or fall apart.  It might take a day and it might take years to discover just what kind of marriage you're in and if you want to stay in it or get the hell out.  I know a lot of people who are in really good, lengthy marriages so it can be done.  Sometimes it depends on the kind of people that make up the couple.

Love is a strong and complex emotion that also can't be explained with words alone.  If you're in love with each other and faithful to one another you can have a happy marriage that nothing can sever and one that will last forever.  One meaningless slip that brings distrust into the relationship is enough to destroy it, though.

I believe in true love and I believe in eternal bonding.  You might be able to be relatively happy in marriage based on friendship alone but the best marriage consists of more than that...you need intense physical attraction, too, to make a spectacular marriage.  It's worth not settling for "just comfortable".

No comments: