Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Senior Abuse

Of all the seniors I know, not one has ever mentioned physical cruelty but maybe that's something we all would be ashamed to admit.  I read a sad article in the newspaper this morning of a senior lady who was suffering from dementia and had been dumped in the middle of downtown (not a safe area) by her daughter who then drove away to her out-of-town home.  Apparently, she didn't want the responsibility of caring for her ill mother any more and also didn't care that by leaving her on her own in the downtown area was probably going to be a death sentence for her.

Thankfully there are good people in this world and a shop keeper noticed the elderly lady wandering aimlessly on a hot day and got help for her.  What if everyone was as heartless as the daughter?  What if the lady had ended up in the hands of rapists or murderers?  What if she'd wandered into the path of a car or bus?  Her daughter should be ashamed of herself for what she did.

I've known seniors whose children have robbed them or disowned them so I know that this kind of treatment happens to some of us.  It's not anything I worry about happening to me, though, because I'm lucky enough to have children I can trust with my life.  It isn't easy caring for the elderly and the last thing I ever want is to be a burden on my children so I've told them to put me in a nursing home when the time comes.  Just make sure to visit me often because, from what I've heard, it's the abandoned elderly who suffer the most abuse from bad caregivers.  

There are only a few things that the elderly fear and one is being abused in some way when they can't fend for themselves.  This used to be a society where the elderly were respected and protected but there is much too much disrespect for everyone in today's society and that's what makes seniors a bit more fearful for their safety.

I've mentioned before that we seem to be treated nicer by the Mexican community in Florida and that's because they, in general, still respect their elders.  It's a pleasant feeling to be dealt with politely and patiently instead of facing the dead, uninterested eyes I often see on young people here in Canada.  My own grandchildren are loving and respectful because that's the way they were raised.  It usually all comes down to the quality of parenting, doesn't it?  Not always, but usually.   


No comments: