Thursday, October 18, 2012

Darned Good Day

Wonderful day, today!  Mary stayed overnight and we breakfasted on coffee and muffins that Faye had brought us.  Faye worries about what Mary will eat when she's at my "house of empty fridge".

Kim picked me up at 11:30 to take me to the hospital to have my cast removed...we sat in the waiting room for about 2 hours before it was done.  the saw that cuts through the cast didn't worry me but having the pin pulled out scared me more and more.  Kim had said it didn't hurt but I'd read a little bit on the internet that it might so I let my imagination run wild.

The nurses and doctors were so sweet, promising me it wouldn't hurt and they were right because I didn't even feel it come out.  I knew there was a metal plate in my arm permanently but I didn't realize that there are also 6 screws in there, too.  I never did wonder what was holding the plate in place!

I have to keep wearing a soft, removable cast (my nice nurse gave it to me for free instead of charging the $35 price) at night and when I'm out for the next 6 weeks but that will be easy.  I feel so free after after the fibreglass cast gone.  

When we left the hospital, we drove to Barry's Jewellers to sell a gold necklace and 2 little rings I had no more use for.  I'd been with Kim yesterday when she sold a little baggie of old rings and a couple of small bracelets for a surprising $400 so I was anxious to find out what my stuff was worth.  The gold necklace was kind of heavy so I had high hopes for it.  Thinking my gold was all 10K, it was a pleasant surprise to be told that the necklace and one ring was 14K (more valuable).  I walked out with $530 which was at least twice what I'd originally paid for them.  Happy day and getting better!!

Then I treated Kim to dinner at Swiss Chalet before we both headed home.  Tonight I'll lounge around watching T.V. and exercising my wrist.  Life is good!!

No comments: