Friday, January 25, 2013

Using Electric Heaters Overnight

My grandaughter just put on Facebook that she's purchased an electric heater and won't need her "toasty duvet" anymore.  Good grief!!  With all the disasters causing death by leaving a heater on all night, why does anyone still do this?  A friend of mine just lost his sister and niece in a fire that destroyed their winter trailer and I have to assume they were using a heater to keep warm in the northern cold.

I have a couple of small electric heaters here in the trailer in Florida and will use them in the daytime or evening when necessary but never, ever overnight.  My guests sleep in the Florida room and there have been times when they might have loved me to allow them to have a heater on all night but it's never going to happen.  I'm just too fearful of them.  Add to that the fact that the wiring in these tin can trailers can be suspicious, it doesn't really surprise me when the use of them causes a fire.  You would be much safer using an electric blanket but I'm even leery of them and don't trust their safety completely.

I don't care what promises the manufacturers of electric heaters make to their customers...they have too often been the cause of fires and death.

No comments: