Friday, February 15, 2013

Barb to the Hospital

I took Barb to the hospital at about 6:45 A.M. and, after examination, she was admitted with severe dehydration, low sodium and potassium levels.  She's been sick for 2 weeks, seen a nurse practitioner and received a prescription for bronchitis and sinusitis but her health hasn't improved.  Vomiting and nausea when eating even the smallest amounts have been constant.  This morning she was so week she needed aid to walk.

I did some research on the effects on the body of low potassium and sodium levels and it's pretty scary.  Because we Canadians use a private out-of-country health insurance when we come to Florida, we can often be discouraged from seeking medical help when we need it and I think that's what has happened with Barb.  I just hope she didn't delay too long.  I consider myself very fortunate to have my Shelley so close by and know she'd be able to advise me when it was time to seek medical help for any injury or illness I might have while I'm here.

A bunch of us are going to visit Barb this afternoon...she has lots of friends and support here but she's in the safest place in the world right now even if her insurance company gives her grief.

Update:  Cathy, Joann, Marion, Sylvia, and I went to see Barb this afternoon and were given her ward room number.  We went in to find an empty bed but her roommate was in the other bed so we asked where Barb was.  

"She's in ICU with double pneumonia and her daughters are with her!", explained the roommate as our hearts sunk into the pits of our stomachs.  Then, realizing her daughters from Nova Scotia could not have gotten there so soon, we asked if it was our Barb she was speaking about.  Thank heavens it wasn't...it was the patient whose bed would be Barb's once she was brought up from Emergency.  So off we went to Emergency and all of us, one at a time, were able to see Barb.  She looked so much better and claims she'll be coming home tomorrow.  We'll see.  But at least she's getting good care and seems to be on the mend.

No comments: