Saturday, July 20, 2013

Concrete Walls

It never occurred to me that hanging curtain rods in an apartment would be a problem but they have concrete walls which means it isn't easy to nail or screw in brackets.  I'd expected Kim and Shelley to do this as an easy job but Kim informed me about the concrete walls and I realized it wasn't something they could do.  So I called in my new handyman, Lorne.  His wife babysits my greatgrandsons and, since I've lost my old handyman to illness, Nick told me her husband would do odd jobs.  

Lorne wasn't too fussy about having to drill into concrete but he felt sorry for me and said he'd do it.  It took him about an hour to put up 2 rods so it was a more difficult job than Kim and Shelley could have done.  I hung curtains on the bedroom window and the dining area window and now my apartment looks even more homey.  I'm thrilled.

Every time I hire someone to do odd jobs like this, I think of how much Dennis did around the house that I just took for granted.  I guess I never fully appreciated it.

Anyway, Lorne said he'd come back and put up the spare bedroom blind and ceiling fan when I get them.  He'll also hang pictures for me if the inside walls are concrete.  I did hang a picture already in the bathroom and had no trouble hammering in a nail so maybe the rest of the walls will be okay for me to handle.  

All in good time!

No comments: