Monday, July 01, 2013

Happy Canada Day!

Canadians aren't the most patriotic people in the world, probably because we don't revere our politicians.  We know better.  But most of us do love our country and wouldn't move elsewhere if our lives depended on it.

Canada is beautiful, clean and safe for the most part.  Even those of us who live in a large city don't have far to go to be out in the countryside as long as we have transportation.  I remember being shocked to hear a schoolteacher once say that many of her students never get to see farmland unless it's on a school trip.  One of the pleasures in my life is to just hop in the car and take a drive out and away from the city...in my case, I can be out of the city in about 10 minutes.  

I love the States but do feel safer once I cross the border back into Canada.  This is mainly because of the lax gun laws in the States where too darned many people carry guns.  There is still crime here but not as rampant as in the large cities in the U.S.

Today, my Canada Day, I'll celebrate quietly and just appreciate my good fortune in being born in this great country. My thanks to my ancestors who chose to make Canada their home.

No comments: