Monday, July 01, 2013

Easy Crockpot Beef Barley Soup

I love making soup, especially crockpot soup.  Toss in the ingredients and let it simmer away for 4-5 hours and you have a healthy meal or 6, depending on how many people are for dinner.  I make a large amount and then freeze dinner sized portions for myself.

Ingredients:

5 cups of water
1 cup of barley
1 lb. stewing beef
1 onion, chopped medium
2 cups cut up carrots
2 heaping tbs. beef bouillon
2 tbs. Bohio all seasoning
1 tbs. Monterey steak sauce spice
2 tbs. pepper

In the final hour of cooking, add a large bag of frozen mixed vegetables.  Using bags of frozen vegetables is a good thing if you live alone because they're always readily available and end up being cheaper than if you bought each vegetable fresh.

I used to make this same recipe using noodles until I found out how high the pasta was in carbohydrates.  Apparently the carbs in barley are "good carbs" and I prefer it made this way rather than using pasta, anyway.   

No comments: