Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Musings

As I enter the final month living in this house Dennis and I bought almost 45 years ago, my mind drifts back to memories built here.  I wanted a house of my own so badly but Dennis had almost always lived in homes his family owned so it was no big deal to him.  He allowed me to push him into an immense mortgage ($13,000) plus down payment debt of $5,000 to his father and $1,000 to his sister, Joyce.  I felt weighed down by such a huge financial liability, too, but my desperation to own my own home overrode it all.

The day we moved in the previous owners didn't have all of their possessions out until early evening so we sat and waited with a borrowed truck filled to overflowing with our own possessions.  Frank had to go to work so we emptied his car of our stuff, too...I don't remember where we put it but I do remember the truck being loaded so high we looked like refugees fleeing a famine.

Dennis worked hard to take care of the house and do all the renovations that were created in  my mind.  He was always satisfied with the status quo but I needed to regularly re-feather my nest.  I could never understand why he did the work reluctantly, not enjoying it like I did.  Of course, it was him doing all the physical labor.

Kim's first boyfriend arrived at our door one day.  He popped his head in and said, "Hi, Pops", to Dennis.  He was lucky to get out of the house alive.  Cindy and Shelley did pagan dances in the backyard, strumming on the bottom of a kiddie pool.  We had yearly family Xmas eve parties where the whole family filled this little house from wall to wall.  Dennis made turkey soup out of the leftovers every boxing day and some of those family members made the trip back to eat with us.  We lived through many "boyfriends", some we liked and some we didn't. The girls and I convinced Dennis we needed a dog and so Corky came to live with us.  We never had much money but we survived because our needs were met...Dennis was never out of work, thank heavens.  Kim, Cindy, and Shelley all prepared for their weddings in this house.  After a few years of trying, Kim and Brian informed us that Nicholas was on the way and we cried.  Dennis taught Nicole to say "bullfeathers".  He also fed all the grandchildren ice-cream out of coffee mugs...smart!  Aeron was our first granddaughter and Dennis joyfully gave her a very expensive doll for her first Xmas.  She dragged it around by the hair.    

Dennis passed away in this house.

In time, the greatgrandchildren came through the door and a toy area was created for them.  Life in this house has always been about family.

And now it's time for me to move on to something smaller and needs less looking after.  I think Dennis would be proud of how I've managed, probably a little surprised, but I know he'd be wishing me well.  This month will be one of emptying the house but some things will be left behind to help the new owners get their start.  They are a little family of 2 parents and a little 9 year old girl.  I wish them well, too.

No comments: