Monday, September 30, 2013

Cancer

It's hard to believe that there was a time in my early life when I'd never heard the word "cancer".  In the years since that time of innocence, I've seen so many be diagnosed with the disease...some survived and some didn't.  Today, a 3W friend is undergoing surgery for pancreatic cancer and I just can't drum up any confidence that he'll be a survivor because pancreatic cancer is one of the deadliest of all.  

I remember when my husband was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in 2004.  We were told that, for him, it would be too dangerous to perform the surgery available at the time and he passed away the following year.  I remember the helplessness we felt.  Cancer had the power and Dennis poor body couldn't fight it off.

I don't know if the survival statistics are much better today but we all seem to know people who did beat the disease and that's all that gives us hope.

I hate the word and I hate the odds.    

No comments: