Sunday, November 03, 2013

Busy, Busy

The social pace at a senior park in Florida is in the upper scale compared to back home in Canada.  At this time of the year, not all of our snow bird friends are here yet but we still participate in all the activities available to us.

Faye and I have done a lot of shopping because she returns home on Wednesday so we're trying to fill her suitcase.  LOL!  I've only bought myself 3 tops but that may be the most I'll buy until the new summer stock comes out in February.  Right now there are terrific bargains on summer clothes because Floridians think that summer is over.  Silly people!

We've had a small table of card players but it's been filled with the usual light banter and lots of laughter.  We've played "65" for a couple of years now but we're still fuzzy on the rules but it makes no difference...we simply co-operate and go with the person who seems to be most sure of herself.  We also try to get some of the men to play with us but they take card games too seriously and I'm sure our constant confusion and silliness makes them keep their distance.  Only a few brave men have dared to join our games and I know they enjoyed themselves but they don't join us too often.  I'm guessing we intimidate them.

There are 37 trailers up for sale in the park.  The reasons are many.  Some have stopped coming because of illness or death, some have been hit hard by the recession, and some are fed up with the new owners/management.  I know I won't want to be here when the people closest to me stop coming down but I'm willing to ignore the owners/management as long as they ignore me.  My closest friend, Sylvia, might be my deciding factor.  When she and Mickey stay home it will be hard for me to be down here for the winter because Sylvia and I spend most days together.

But, for this year, most of our fun buddies are here or on their way so it will be another great winter for us all.  I consider each year a bonus I'd never thought would be mine and I'm ever thankful for every moment of it.   

No comments: