Thursday, April 24, 2014

Leg Cramps

The night before last, I was awakened by the most excruciating leg cramps I'd ever experienced.  Strangely, they were on the inner thigh of one leg and the calf of the other.  They were honestly agonizing and I fearfully realized that the cramping was so severe that I wouldn't have been able to even stand up to get help if that became necessary.  It lasted about 5 long minutes before abating and I was able to get back to sleep.

One good thing about this damned computer is that I don't need to see my doctor when I'm curious about what might be a health problem.  I can just google it.  And this is what I did to discover that super severe leg cramps are not uncommon, coming out of no-where and with no known cause.  It could possibly be a shortage of potassium, magnesium, or hydration but that's just a guess.  Some poor souls are afflicted by these cramps so often that they keep a glass of water on their nightstand to hopefully help if they happen during the night.

I've experienced childbirth and gall bladder attacks but these cramps are almost as bad.  They appeared so suddenly, waking me from a sound sleep to wide awake agony in moments.  I hope they never come back.


No comments: