Monday, April 28, 2014

Static Cling Window Treatment

The bottom part of the apartment windows are side sliders which don't give much privacy unless I lower the blinds.  It doesn't make sense to do that because I'd get no light and no air if I opened the windows.  I've wanted to put some kind of film on the side sliders but was worried about trying to do that with film that glued itself on.  That can be a nightmare to work with so I decided to see if there were large pieces of static cling film...and there was!  

I bought a piece 36" x 72" at Lowes for $45.99 and it was fairly easy for me to manage.  My cutting wasn't perfect but it wasn't too bad and I got the computer room windows, my bedroom windows, and part of the spare bedroom windows done in an hour or so.  I actually didn't have enough film for the spare bedroom but decided to cover what I could and lower the blinds to make it look as though it was complete.  No-one will ever know.

I'm really pleased with the effect...for one thing, it adds color and it also provides privacy.  I use horizontal blinds in every room but don't like to lower them all the way because I love lots of light.  Even at night, there are dim lights on in the parking lot below my apartment so I'll always have a bit of light coming through the film.  It will always be pretty!

My next project is to line the cupboards with some foamy shelf liner I bought in Florida.  It's a salmon color which will brighten up the inside of the cupboards.  

I am enjoying apartment living!

No comments: