Tuesday, May 13, 2014

I'm Officially Diabetic

My blood sugar has been elevated for years but last year it took a gigantic leap to 8.3  (high normal is 6.).  I put off medication, hoping weight loss and a better diet would bring it down enough that I wouldn't have to go on Metformin but it didn't work.  Even with a 15 lb. weight loss and a slightly better diet, my blood sugar rose to 8.7 this spring so I had to accept the inevitable.  I'm diabetic and will be taking Metformin for the rest of my life.  Not the worst thing in the world, though.

My other blood counts were okay, the CLL still staying much the same and only slightly above normal.  My cholesterol is stable, too, so all is not really horrible.  If left unchecked, the high blood sugar would damage my innards so taking a couple of pills every day isn't such a bad trade-off.  I often wonder how many hidden illnesses plagued our ancestors who never went to a doctor for check-ups.  At least I have a doctor who is aware of what's going on inside me and will keep tabs on my health.  He's my new doctor (my old one retired) and he's adorable.  I get the impression he knows what he's talking about but there's no arrogance about him.  He's a very nice doctor and I'm lucky to have him, even if he does look like he's 12 years old.

Being diabetic doesn't mean I pig out on sweets because I don't crave them, thank heavens.  I've never had a decent diet until this past winter and, though better, it's not the best...it's just not filled with desserts.  The dietition told me that carbs, not calories, are what I should count so I've been more careful all winter eliminating many carbs from my meals.  With luck, those magical 2 pills a day will keep me from kicking the bucket for years to come.

  

No comments: