Monday, May 12, 2014

Rotating Your Tires

If I'd thought about it, I would have remembered that I never had the Honda's tires rotated in the 11 years I owned the car.  I did have new tires put on it, though.

On Friday, I decided to have the tires rotated on the Nissan which I've owned for 2 years.  It wasn't too expensive and I'd decided to take extra good care of the car which will probably see me out.  Before the rotation there was some road noise but after the rotation it was deafening.  There was also a vibration felt in the steering wheel that I hadn't felt before.  I thought for certain that the dealership had wrecked my cute little car.

On Sunday, Matt drove my car and told me the noise was almost certainly the wheel bearings.  I could see dollar signs!  But when I got home and on the computer I searched the internet for info on anyone hearing extra noise after having their tires rotated.  Sure enough, it is very common and so is the vibration.  The key is that this will happen unless you have your tires rotated about every 2000 miles.  My car has about 12,000 miles on it.  Mystery solved (I hope!)

I'm having the tires returned to their original position on Wednesday and I've brazenly asked not to be charged for it.  We'll see if that request is honored, too.  I will put new tires on in the fall but I'm not ready to take on that cost just yet.

I just love all the information that is available to us on the internet!

No comments: