Saturday, May 31, 2014

Teenage Momma

Kim was born when I was only 17 years old and I was as far away from being a responsible mother as a girl could be.  I'd rarely even babysat so I knew nothing about babies and there I was with a 9 1/2 pound baby girl whose existence lay in my hands.  Dennis had just turned 21 but was fully employed and a very responsible young man...but he knew nothing about babies, either, and came from a generation when the man of the family was only expected to bring home a paycheck and occasionally play with the children.  He didn't change diapers, feed the baby, or get up in the night for one.  I don't fault him because that was what was expected in those days.

It's nice to see that parenting style has changed and fathers now do everything except breast feed their babies.  This is a win/win/win situation for all involved.  The father gets to bond completely with his offspring, the baby has more Daddy time, and the mother gets some much needed rest.  

But my Kimmie survived and grew into one of the most wonderful women I've ever been privileged to know.  I guess she had to be strong to survive her precarious babyhood!  

No comments: