Sunday, June 22, 2014

Of Life and Death

I don't know why we live only to die in the end.  It's one of those mysteries of life that we may or may not ever find the answer.  As we age, death becomes more a part of our lives as friends and relatives pass on and we know we're heading in the same direction.  I'm not afraid of dying myself but I hate the thought of losing people now who are important parts of my life.  But therein lies the mystery and the inevitability of life...we all die in the end.

Because I have no religious affiliation, I've had to form my own beliefs of what happens to our spirit when our body gives out on us.  I know I've written before about how mine had better go on to a beautiful garden where there is no evil ever again.  Not much to ask for, is it?  I have had many out-of-body experiences in my lifetime and know of others who have had the same experiences so I'm pretty sure there is an important part of me that will survive death of the body I'm carting around.

I deeply believe in having the choice of euthanasia when all hope is gone and the patient will only continue suffering until his/her final demise.  It's interesting that Quebec is considering passing laws to allow it so hopefully Ontario will do the same soon.  That is only humane.

If I'm right and that beautiful, peaceful garden is my destination when I'm finished on earth, why would it be right to hold me here if I'm in pain and suffering?  It doesn't make sense.

No, I'm not in danger of leaving soon as far as I know.  I'm not in pain and I'm enjoying my senior life very much but I know it can't go on forever.  Many moons ago, Joyce and I agreed to euthanize one another when the time came but we joked that we'd also need to get a second opinion before taking that step.  

Life is precious because of what we can gain from our limited time here.  If we're lucky and make the right choices about what is really important in life...family, love, friendship, kindness...then our days on earth have been successful.

       

  

No comments: