Monday, June 23, 2014

Slavery in Canada?

I hated history and geography when I was in school so I don't know if the subject of slavery in Canada ever came up.  Until just last week I'd lived in my little dream world of smugly believing we Canadians had never involved ourselves in the repugnant practice of slavery.  I was enlightened to my mistake by 3 immigrants...granted, they immigrated here many, many years ago but they still knew more about Canadian history than I did.

Indeed, slavery was practiced in Canada (mainly the eastern provinces) until it was formally abolished in 1834.  The last known previous slave died right here in Ontario in 1871.  I believe most slaves in Canada were aboriginals (natives) but many black slaves were brought here by immigrants from Europe.  I am still astounded that this terrible practice isn't widely known.

Slavery is an inhumane thing to do to a human being.  Today, we know this and the fact that it happened in our country less than 200 years ago is something we shouldn't ignore.  History can teach us to be a better generation but we have to have clear and factual accounts in order for us to learn.

Just as the concentration camps in Germany should never be forgotten, we also need to know how slavery and all the horrors that come with it happened right here at home. 

No comments: