Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Learning

I once told my grandson, Kyle, that we never stop learning no matter how old we get but I wasn't truly aware how exciting it is to learn something new.  Dealing with a computer, we seniors are tested every day on how to handle any given situation the darned thing throws at us but we do learn, even if it's slowly.

When I conquer a problem in any area, I know my aging brain cells are still alive and functioning.  Most of the seniors I know are like this and I can't understand the seniors who give in to age as an end to learning or enjoying life.  The brain is a magnificent organ, one of which we apparently only use a small portion.  Just think of what we humans could do if we utilized the whole thing!

I often half apologize for my ignorance when I tell someone how I have overcome a problem (usually on the computer) but I shouldn't do that.  Never apologize for success no matter how insignificant it might seem to others.  Every obstacle we overcome in life is a success for us because it broadens our abilities.

Now Kyle started and stopped his college education 3 times but he is now fully ensconced in his classes for the 4th time.  Do you think my words to him when he was a child stuck with him?  I hope it helped him to understand that it's never too late to learn.


No comments: