Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Oh, Canada!

I sat out on the balcony this evening with a glass of wine in one hand and my eyes glued to the horizon where I could see fireworks in the sky in many different directions.  I love Canada...not just because I was lucky enough to be born here but because I had ancestors who recognized the pure potential of this vast country.  This is Canada Day and we're 157 years old.  Sounds young for a country, doesn't it?

Canada isn't like other countries.  Someone said we have drive by yellings instead of drive by shootings...not quite the truth but closer to it than not.  We're a multicultural country where many nationalities can immigrate and make a safe home for themselves.  I wish we blended a little better than we do but maybe that will happen as the years go by.  I like the idea of preserving our heritage but I also like the idea of blending heritages because that's the way to better understanding of cultural differences.

I love my country and appreciate the fact that Canada once accepted my ancestors who left their birth countries to pursue a better life here.  

Happy 157th Birthday, Canada!

No comments: