Friday, July 25, 2014

"Quack, Quack"

I've always written stories, mostly short stories about something that impressed me in some way.  I have an old strongbox that held papers from quite a few years ago so I decided to empty it and give it to Don.  I knew there were some of my old stories in it and it's always fun to reread what you've written in prior years and may have even forgotten about.  This is one of them and it was apparently submitted to Reader's Digest in December, 2000.  Funny, I've never received payment for it.  LOL!

My 2 year old grandson, Jake, lives 1500 miles from my husband and myself (Poppa & Gramma) so we seldom get to see him.

When Jake was an infant, Poppa would quack like a duck to make him laugh and he discovered that the quack was also a way of identifying himself when he spoke to the baby on the telephone.  If the person he heard on the phone quacked, then Jake knew it was his Poppa.

We recently visited Jake after not seeing him for five months and, as expected, he didn't recognize us.  He was very upset by two strangers approaching him and he began to cry...until my husband quacked.  Jakes eyes widened and a smile burst upon his little face.  "Poppa!", Jake yelled!

Now, isn't that a sweet story?

No comments: