Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Sparrow Nursery



I'd kind of wondered why a little sparrow would shoot out from behind this planter every time I watered but it wasn't until I decided to switch the potted plants that I found out why.

This year I bought a lot of complete potted plants instead of planting everything individually so I just sat them on top of the large planters on the balcony.  The other day I decided to change some around, just the way you would furniture.  When I lifted the pot from this location I was surprised to find the sweetest, most intricate nest full of speckled eggs.  I knew they were sparrow eggs because of the little sparrow who always seemed to be there.

Kim has a robin's nest over the light at her front door and we thought it was kind of late for birds to be laying eggs but I guess not.  It will be fun to watch them hatch and then learn to fly.  I hope my nosy presence won't be too disturbing for Momma sparrow. 


No comments: