Friday, October 17, 2014

Odds and Ends

This is a Swedish weaving afghan I just finished.  Today was one of those cloudy, blah days that you can use to complete a few projects so that's what I did.  Too bad the cloudy skies caused my photo color to be blah, too.  I've got a lot of time to fill in before I go (if I can go) to Florida so I'm using it to make Swedish weaving table runners.  The next afghan I make will be for Lisa but I'll wait until I can buy the yarn in the States.  It's double the price in Canada.

I'm going to take this afghan and the table runners to the craft sale at the senior center next month.  You could never get enough money to pay for the time it takes to make these but at least it could pay for the materials.  I'll be selling some of my jewelry also...the stuff I bought to sell and then ran out of venues to sell them in!

All of this is a hobby for me, thank heavens, or I'd starve.  I enjoy Swedish weaving very much but, as far as the jewelry goes, I'd like to be rid of it.  I've got lots of jewelry pieces to make my own to sell and that's what I'd like to be doing...but not until what I have is gone!

I wonder if any of my descendents will take after me.  I'm very much like my grandmother who was a bootlegger.  She was also a great cook but that wasn't passed down to me.  I have a tendency to go into interests whole hog from the beginning and then realize my mistake once I become bored with it.  It could be worse, though.  At least I keep busy and am productive most of the time.  

About my grandmother...she loved company and loved to laugh.  She was very generous and gave away much of the fruit and vegetables she spent time and energy canning for the winter.  She dyed her hair orange (I've never dyed mine) and lied about her age (I am honest about mine).  She loved me and raised me even though I was stubborn as hell.  I miss her.

I think about Nan a lot, realizing with each year what a good woman she was and how I never appreciated her until I was older.  Live and learn, right?  


No comments: