Sunday, March 01, 2015

2 Steps Ahead

I'm a people watcher so maybe I pick up on things a lot of others might ignore and one of my pet peeves are husbands who walk two steps ahead of their wives.  My husband did this and it annoyed the life out of me.  Maybe I was wrong but it always felt like a slap in the face.  Right or wrong, that is how it felt.

My computer is at the front window of the trailer so I get to see lots of foot and vehicle traffic as I play my games or surf the web.  Today there is church service at the clubhouse across the road and I've been occasionally watching the people traipsing in.  The couples who capture my heart are the sweet seniors who walk along hand in hand.  The couples who irk me are the ones where the husband is walking 2 steps ahead of his wife.  Maybe I take it personally and the wives don't mind...but I don't understand the husband's mindset where he makes sure he's walking ahead of his wife.  Is he the warrior on the alert for danger or is he asserting his position as head of the family?  Whatever, it bugs me.

On the plus side, this behavior isn't the norm here.  Most of the husbands are side by side companions to their wives and that gives me hope for our species.  I really don't notice the "2 steps ahead" behavior with the younger generation but I'll be looking for it now that I think about it.


No comments: