Tuesday, April 28, 2015

African Violets

There was a time when I had 40+ plants around the house and I remember wondering why I had so many when it came to watering them.  But I loved seeing healthy plants of all varieties even in the dead of winter when nothing was growing outdoors.  When I started spending the winters in Florida I had to give all that up because no-one else was going to come by every week while I was gone and water them.  I began putting some artificial flowers around here and there and that satisfied me for a while.  Then I decided to at least buy a couple of African Violets and I was hooked.

I especially love the bi-colored ones and the plants themselves aren't very expensive.  So far this year I've bought the 2 in the photo but I want one more...a white and lilac colored.  Artificial flowers can never give you the same feeling of happiness that a living plant does but I know I have to limit how many I have.  I gave last year's African Violets to Kim and Matt said he over-watered them and they died.  African Violets have to be watered from the bottom and never soaked.

And so I have these little beauties sitting on the windowsill by the computer and I can see them from the kitchen and the livingroom.  Nice!

No comments: