Sunday, April 05, 2015

I'm Honored

I'm always preaching how important counseling can be when you're in serious distress and I've somehow become one of the honorary counselors in the park.  I feel very honored and trusted that anyone would come to me for guidance and I will never betray a confidence.  

Listening to anyone's woes is an art because you have to judge whether or not the person is a whiner and you have to be very careful about what you suggest would help them.  If they're a whiner, run!  And don't pretend you have all the answers, either.

I'm strong on never taking abuse of any kind and of standing up for yourself because, if you don't respect yourself and know you don't deserve abuse, then you're laying yourself wide open for an abuser to take advantage of you.

Often, someone's problem will be beyond my ability to help and I have to be honest about that.  My life experiences may not in any way reflect their's.  It's a great responsibility when anyone asks your advice because it's someone's life we're talking about and bad advice is worse than no advice.

I've had people ask how to handle a difficult person they really can simply avoid.  That's one of my first suggestions if it applies at all.  Don't make waves, walk away, and spend your time with people who are supportive and nice to be with.  If you can't walk away, take a couple of steps back.  Remember, I'm not trained to counsel anyone but I've lived a long life and have learned a couple of things along the way.  I'm an expert at walking away, head held high, and leaving unpleasantness behind me.

It dismays me to know how nasty some people can be, though.  Life is so short and being petty is such a waste of your precious time on earth.  You'll feel much better every day if you treat people kindly.

Today is a beautiful sunny and warm day in Florida and I'm blessed to be here.  



  

    

No comments: