Thursday, May 21, 2015

Gary

My brother-in-law, Gary, has been battling one form or another of cancer for a few years now.  He's had 2 major surgeries that didn't take away all the cancer and now he's just had a third surgery to make him more comfortable.  His odds are not good.

So many times I talk to people who feel the same way that I do...why haven't we found a cure for cancer?  I know there are many kinds of cancer which makes it more difficult but think of how many millions, probably billions, of dollars goes into research every year.  The surgeons, radiologists, chemo therapists all do what they can but it seems like they're just guessing most of the time.  They'll try one therapy after the other and hope it will work.  In the end, most don't.

My grandmother died from cancer.  My mother died from cancer.  I'm battling skin cancer which is one of the easiest to cure.  

Of course, this recent episode with Gary is very hard on his family.  They don't want him in pain but they're not ready to lose him, either.  He's been a good husband, father, and grandfather who doesn't deserve the nastiness he's going through.  No-one deserves it.

One good thing is that Gary's family is a close and loving one and he doesn't have to go through it alone.  

No comments: