Saturday, June 06, 2015

Elementary School Curriculum

It's not my business any more how our children are taught in school but I do have my opinions.  I hate the idea of giving our little ones too much sex education because I want to keep them innocent as long as possible.  I'm not happy that too much school time is spent teaching them religion and French.  I honestly believe that time would be better spent teaching them to spell!

Now they're removing cursive writing from the curriculum.  So, what will they replace that with?  Our children are already learning math with a calculator and there is spell check on the computers they use.  I see them as adults in the future unable to solve problems in their heads!

If all these changes meant our children were being better educated, I'd just let it be but I see advertisements in stores and even on T.V. that are misspelled.  Cashiers can't make proper change from a sale if you try to add some coins after it's rung in the cash register.

I remember when the school board decided that teachers should stop teaching the little ones to read phonetically but to use only flash cards.  We all know how devastating that was to a whole generation of children (now in their 50's) who probably still have trouble reading.

The school boards have way too much power and mistakes by them have consequences that go on forever.  In the case of the new sex education curriculum, the school boards were able to convince enough free thinking (not necessarily sensible thinking) parents that their children should learn early about gay unions and sexual practices.  Since when does an 8 year old child need to be taught about gays??  I know they exist but so does polygamy, rape, and incest.  Just how much grade 2 school time should be diverted to learning about sexual practices?

Anyway, I'm an old gal with more rigid beliefs than parents of today.  But, what they allow their children to learn at an early age will probably be instrumental in causing those little children to practice adult behavior before they're intellectually ready for it.

We reap what we sow.
  

No comments: