Friday, June 05, 2015

Deciding To Be Happy

When the surgeon walked into the operating room on Wednesday he was singing.  I mentioned that he must be a very happy man and he said he was.  I then said that we can always start our day by making the choice to be happy and he asked me how I started my day.  I said I always choose to be happy.

Some of my days fail the test, though, but I'm only human.  When I'm frightened or deeply worried it isn't easy to be happy even if that's what I'm consciously choosing.  I guess my point is that most of our days can be happy ones if we choose it to be so.

My singing surgeon was a joy to hear.  He wasn't going to be operating on me with misery in his heart and would most certainly do a better job because of his happy state of mind.  Don't we all??

This is how I see today:  Kim is healing and getting better every day.  Me, too!  Matt's finances seem to be in order now.  All of my adult grandchildren have jobs.  All of my children, grandchildren, and greatgrandchildren are pretty darned healthy.  We have a family filled with love and caring for each other.  I'm happily ensconced in my sweet little apartment.

When we consider all our blessings, we can handle the bad things that slip in now and then. 


No comments: