Saturday, August 08, 2015

Re-usables

I like dollar stores, thrift shops, and yard sales.  I can usually meander through these places and come up with something I can use, maybe not for it's originally intended use.  This morning I made my coffee in the Keurig and, since my mugs are way too large, have placed one of those glass coffee pots to catch the coffee.  I had been using a small plastic measuring cup but the coffee stained it terribly and that bugged me so, while strolling through a thrift shop, I spotted this glass pot and knew it would serve my purpose.  Thankfully someone donated it to a thrift shop rather than tossing it in the trash.  One man's trash is another man's treasure!

We are such a wasteful society...just look at what many people put out in yard sales for pennies.  I do hate to throw something away that I know someone else can use so I send a lot to the Salvation Army.  It's an excellent charity where the CEO's don't take an exorbitant salary.  Look up the salaries of other charity CEO's and you'll see what I mean.

I've always liked to put broken pottery in my garden and plant flowers in them, too.  They look homey to me.  Dollar stores amaze me, too, with their prices being so low compared to what you'd pay for the same thing in a department store.  I used to take my grandchildren there at Christmas time to buy their choice of presents for their parents.  They loved it and it didn't cost much.

Just recently I bought building blocks and little super heroes at a thrift store for Nash and Nolan.  Pretty much every toy I have here for them came from yard sales, too.  All in excellent condition with years of play still in them.  They'll be returned to the Salvation Army when the kids outgrow them.

I don't yard sale much any more but find I'm in need/want of fancy new coffee mugs.  I can't bring myself to buy them at full price in a store so I guess I'll have to do some yard saleing soon.

You can find some lovely things to re-use and which cost very little if you just have patience.  


No comments: