Friday, August 21, 2015

The Importance of a GG

I have my greatgrandson, Nolan, overnight tonight and I, as usual, really looking forward to it.  Children, especially good children like Nolan and Nash, are a joy to have around.  Their innocence alone makes them interesting to watch and the way they learn so fast is fascinating.

I know GG's home isn't the most exciting place for the little boys to visit but it's very important for them to know their extended family well and to know how much they're loved.  The more extended family involvement, the better adjusted the child will be.  I believe that completely.

Nolan and Nash have a lot of family on both their mother's and father's side, all of whom love the boys and interact with them on a regular basis.  They are lucky children in many ways.

I get Nolan at 5 P.M. and we'll go out for dinner and then back to my apartment where he has lots of toys, including his precious Legos, to play with.  He has to be home by noon tomorrow to play his last soccer game of the season so we'll have an early lunch.  I mainly seem to eat with these boys but at least I enjoy being with them.  I only take one at a time so I can devote all of my love and attention to them.  I also believe each child needs that individual attention.

Each boy has his personal gifts...Nolan's eyes are to die for.  Nash is just so sweet, I could eat him up.  Nolan is amazingly gifted with Legos.  Nash still likes to play with toy cars and trucks that make noise.  At GG's home, they play at whatever they choose at their leisure.  T.V. shows are limited.

We have a little ritual where we go to the grocery store right after dinner and they buy their favorite cookies, "Bear Paws".  They have some for a snack in the evening and then the following morning but take the remainder of the package home with them to share with their brother.  Small children like rituals like this because it's something they can count on happening.

Staying overnight with GG isn't exciting but it's still important to take time to be with the little ones.  It's one more place where they know where their toys are and they know they're loved.

No comments: