Saturday, September 26, 2015

A Stranger Hugged Me

As I entered the grocery store yesterday, I almost bumped into an elderly black lady.  We smiled at each other and I ushered her to go ahead of me.  When we met in passing a few moments later, she stopped me and asked me how I was doing.  I replied that I was doing fabulously and began to walk on.  She then spoke to my back saying it was her 50th anniversary so I turned around and mentioned that I was a widow.  She grabbed me in a bear hug and blessed me.

All of this happened in a few short minutes of my shopping trip and it left me feeling truly happy and truly blessed to have just made contact in this way with a stranger.  Hugs and kind words are not given often enough.  If they were, this would be a much nicer planet to live on.

I'm not saying that hugging every stranger you meet is necessary but a smile and a kind word should come out effortlessly.  They can make someone's day.

I mentioned the lady's race only to make a point that some of us fear other races but this lady showed a kindness to a white person and we all know how badly black people have suffered at the hands of white racists.  She and I both understood that skin color should never matter when bringing people into your life.  What matters is the soul beneath the skin.  

  

No comments: