Saturday, September 26, 2015

More Than We Need.

"WHEN YOU HAVE MORE THAN YOU NEED, BUILD A BIGGER TABLE AND NOT A HIGHER FENCE"

I don't know who wrote this truism but it hits you right in the gut, doesn't it?  One of the responses to this quote on Facebook reminded us that we not only have more than we need in Canada but some of us have to rent storage units to hold even more excess.  It seems the more we get the more we want even if we have no use for it.  It's pure greed.

I'm not removing myself from blame, either.  I have much more than I need even after downsizing from the house to an apartment.  I don't want to give up my comforts, either, and that makes me as guilty as anyone else.

We can place the blame everywhere but on our own shoulders and we'd be lying to ourselves.  I don't need the expense of a Florida trailer but I want the opportunity to be out of the winter cold.  I don't need a closet full of clothes and shoes but I've fallen into the trap of always wanting something new.  I don't need to gamble while some in the world don't have enough food to feed their children.

I'm not liking this post because it's making me feel like a selfish monster.    

No comments: