Friday, September 18, 2015

CLL

Part of the blood work I have done every 6 months is to monitor my lymphocyte levels.  About 5 years ago, my blood showed a 4.3 level which was .3 above normal.  I was stunned when my family doctor sent me to a hematologist and I was diagnosed with CLL (chronic lymphatic leukemia).  The words shocked me to the core but then I was told that I'd just need monitoring once a year to see how it progressed.  That didn't sound so bad but still, leukemia??

Since that time I've found out that a few people I know have the same diagnosis, had it for years, and will probably outlive any need for treatment.  My doctor told me there's nothing to be concerned about until the level reaches about 80.

The other day I watched a program on T.V. where the topic of discussion was CLL and the doctors speaking were in agreement that patients with such low levels of lymphocytes shouldn't even be told they have the potential condition because it takes so long for it to develop into an illness needing treatment.

I keep records of all my blood work because I want to keep track of what's happening inside me.  My lymphocyte level was 8.0 in April and 7.9 in August.  The reason I had blood work done before 6 months was because a rise in my cholesterol meant my statin drug was increased so my sweet doctor likes to keep on top of things.

There may be a few things wrong with this old gal but my blood pressure is 120 over 60.  At least something is working well.  

No comments: