Thursday, September 17, 2015

I Learned Something New Today

Never say that talk shows are just entertainment.  I watched a very interesting Dr. Phil show today about a man who was devastated by his son becoming a transsexual.

I'm going to be brutally honest here.  I watched the show expecting to see the son come out as a female but looking nothing like a female (this really doesn't matter).  I expected Dr. Phil to analyze the son and find a mental issue.

What Dr. Phil did was to kindly, very kindly, bring the father around to understanding that transsexuals have been found to have a different brain function than what is found in "normal" men and women.  Please forgive the "normal" because I think I'm truly understanding now that transsexualism is not a mental disorder but a difference in the brain function.  It is not a disorder...it is what it is.

I then did some research on the internet and tried to understand the scientific explanation for transsexualism.  I understood enough to enlighten me.

We could call it an abnormality in the brain but I think there's more to it than that.  True transsexuals suffer horribly trying to live their life in a sexual structure that feels alien to them.  They can't help at all that they don't physically appear as the sex they feel they are.  How absolutely horrible for them because this isn't something that a pill or counseling can change.

It's as though my eyes have been opened and I thank good old Dr. Phil.  You see, we really can learn if it's put to us the right way and today I became a more understanding person in regards to transsexuals.

Thank you, Dr. Phil. 

No comments: