Friday, September 25, 2015

Weak Bladder

I don't like to call it incontinence because that sounds like you're peeing yourself all the time.  A better term is "weak bladder" and that's what many senior ladies (and many younger) put up with.  We race to the bathroom rather than have a dignified stroll.  We can go from not needing to pee to desperately needing to pee at the snap of the fingers.

I had a bladder repair when I was 55 because of this darned weak bladder.  The repair amounted to a surgery in which the bladder was hoisted up a bit.  It worked a bit but, over the past 20 years, my bladder weakness has been getting steadily worse.  It's an embarrassment and inconvenience to be troubled by something like this so I asked my doctor to prescribe me something that might help.  I detest taking medication but sometimes you just have to accept that this is what you need to make your life more comfortable.

He prescribed me a little blue pill called oxybutynin choride.  Each little pill is 5 MG and I take one in the morning and the evening.  I have to say that the results have been amazing after only taking the medication for less than a week.  I feel like I'm carrying around a brand new bladder that behaves itself.

I guess we have to give in and realize that the quality of life is more important than worrying about the side effects of a new medication.  I'm going to die one day from something anyway.

No comments: