Monday, November 09, 2015

Getting Ready For Florida

Leaving for 5 months requires all kinds of preparation but this year mine is a little less than before.  Nick will be staying in my apartment so I don't have to clear out the fridge or turn off the cable.  I tried just turning off the phone part because Nick uses a cell phone but discovered Cogeco won't do that.  It's either leave it all on or turn it all off.  That is soooo dumb!  I'm sure they have the technology to do this but choose not to do it.

I opened my suitcase on the bed in the spare room and have been gradually adding stuff to it.  I doubt it will be filled when I leave, though.  My car trunk is also only half full...with toilet paper that was way on sale and coffee.  I'll be doing very little Ebay this year so I'm not taking much down to sell.

The cost of spending 5 months in Florida has become prohibitive so this may be my last year unless something changes.  The lot rent alone will cost me about $7000 Cdn. and add to that the $1500 out-of-country health insurance and it's becoming too much to accept as reasonable for my income.  I've been making plans for how I'd spend my winter at home and it wouldn't be so bad.  I'd spend a few days a week at the senior center doing crafts or whatever and I'd see more of my family here.  Life can be good anywhere if that's what you choose it to be.

I'll definitely miss my 3W friends when I decide to stay home, though.  I've always said that I was blessed the day I ended up at 3W and began 17 years (so far) of some of the greatest friendships of my life.  3W is so full of nice people that I sometimes think I'm dreaming.  How could so many terrific human beings end up spending the winter at one little trailer park?

Yes, my life will change quite a bit in the next few years but it's been a lovely ride.   And I'm sure there are more great days to come, too! 

No comments: