Sunday, December 27, 2015

Sleep Deprived

I've had problems with my sleep for almost as many years as I've been alive.  In the past few years I can have 2-3 nights where I get next to no sleep but then I'll take an Advil PM and sleep like a baby.  This usually results in resetting my sleep pattern and I sleep fairly well for weeks to months.

For some reason, since Shelley and John took the burden of lot rent off my shoulders, I can't sleep at all.  It's not worry that keeps me awake but thoughts full of "should I allow them to do this?, what can a buy for the trailer to help them?, can they really get some worthwhile use out of it?".  I think my conscience is bothering me.

Any way, this lack of sleep finally caught up with me yesterday in a scary and very dangerous incident.  I'd gone over to Shelley's to have lunch with them and Sam's family...after having a seriously sleepless night which I thought I could fix with a late afternoon nap.  On the drive back home, I knew I was very tired but it's only an hour and 15 minute drive which I was sure would be no problem for me.  Nope.

I became aware that, when I'd blink, my eyes would not reopen immediately.  I was darned well falling asleep at the wheel!  Determined to persevere, get home and have a nap, I stupidly kept on driving.  At one point, I drifted over to the next lane where the noise from the bump strips jarred me awake.  Thank heavens there was no car next to me because I'd had no control over my falling asleep.  Like I said, it would happen when my eyes blinked and then didn't reopen.

This frightened me awake and I was able to make it home without further incident but it seared in my brain how dangerous it is to drive when you're tired.  I don't know how I'll manage from here on in because I have so many sleepless nights and drive to Tampa on a regular basis.  Last night I took half an Advil PM and slept well.  Maybe I'll take the half pill a few times a week and see if that helps regulate my sleep.  Otherwise I'll have to be smart enough to pull off the highway whenever I feel too tired to drive.  I've done this when I've done the long drive from Canada to Florida...just pulled into a rest stop and rested my eyes for 15 minutes or so before carrying on.

I'm now frighteningly aware how quickly one can fall asleep at the wheel.  

No comments: