Sunday, April 24, 2016

Miracle of the Heating Pad

I can't find my heating pad...if I have one and I can't imagine not having one...so I borrowed Faye's and have been using it on my sore arm for the past week.  I guess it's on my arm for 3-4 hours per day and, darn it, it really helps.  The pain hasn't disappeared by any means but the constant ache is now bearable.  The day after I had the ultrasound, my arm hurt so badly that I couldn't stand it.  Just the pressure of the technician as he manipulated my arm was the cause.  But now it's a little bit better.

Oh yes, the ultrasound showed I have a minute partial tear in the supraspinatus zone measuring 4 x2 x3 mm.  Also a hypoechoic area in the distal portion of the biceps measuring 1.2 x 0.4 x 3.4 cm.  These measurements and areas mean nothing to me so I asked Shelley to explain.  Apparently it means the problem is in the shoulder and biceps.  I knew that!!

Anyway, both my doctor and Shelley agree that physiotherapy will help and my first appointment is Monday, May 2 at 9 A.M.  I also have a dental appointment the same day at 2:30 so I'm going to be a very sore lady that day.

We seniors don't bounce back from injuries like we did when we were younger and I always worry that any new hurt is permanent.  I hope this one isn't because it is already limiting how much I dare carry or lift...not that I've ever been really strong even when I was younger.

But, back to the heating pad.  It amazes me how much it helps aches and pains in any part of the body.  I guess the heat comforts us and makes us relax our muscles.  I know that applying cold compresses are supposed to shrink swelling but cold isn't comforting.  I'll stick with the warmth unless ordered to do otherwise.

Today I'm feeling quite good and have already done the laundry and made my bed...only tasks needed today.  I'm considering going for a nice long drive and having lunch out.  Life is good!   

No comments: