Saturday, April 23, 2016

Photos and Memories

Facebook may not be everyone's cup of tea but it holds a special spot in my heart.  This morning Andrea posted an older photo of Isabel playing with 2 of her grandchildren and it warmed and hurt my heart at the same time.  She showered those babies with love and I hope they're old enough to never forget that feeling.

Knowing that our death is just around the corner means we fear being forgotten, especially for the good and loving things we do with our lives.  We try not to worry about our past mistakes and hope they won't be what our loved ones remember most when we're gone.  At least I do.

We assume the internet will be around forever because we can't imagine anything more powerful or sustaining than the internet and that is why I write this blog.  I want my progeny to be able to read my thoughts and learn about their ancestor in years to come.  I don't think that's egotistical because I would dearly love to read my distant ancestors' thoughts.

No, we don't like to be forgotten because that means we weren't necessary and that's difficult to accept.  Very few of us will ever do anything that will be put in history books but most of us don't care about that.  We just want to be remembered by the people we hold dear in our hearts.  

I'm a people watcher and enjoy seeing the smile and love on the faces of people as they look at their loved ones.  It makes me feel as though there is more good in the human race than evil.  It shows me a darned good reason why we humans exist at all!

You know what I feel when I see a shabby street person?  I first wonder what brought him/her to this stage of life and then my thoughts fly back in time to when they were a child and most certainly loved by someone, even if only by their mother.  I see them as newborns, perfect and pure.  And then I imagine that loss of love in some drastic way caused them to stop loving themselves.  And I think, "there, but for chance, go I".

I guess I got off on a tangent there but that's okay.  This is my blog and my thoughts so where they lead me is okay.

Now, if my descendants ever read this blog, know that I lived a life that was never perfect but it was filled with love...most of the time.  I think that's the best we can hope for.      

No comments: