Sunday, May 15, 2016

Don't Forget Your Pills

I have one of those little day organizers for my pills.  I had to start using it a couple of years ago when I was diagnosed with diabetes.  It was apparently too much for my brain to remember whether or not I'd taken my pills because I was mostly pill free for so long in my life.

Anyway, I now have a daily regimen of calcium, multi-vitamin, metformin, and some little blue pill to calm my bladder.  These are all taken in the morning.  In the evening, I take another metformin, generic lipitor, and another little blue pill.  I'd prefer to take nothing at all but I realize my health and happiness requires me to give in and take them.

I'd noticed during the winter that I often forgot to take my pills just because I was busy and put it off until it was too late to take them.  This all caught up with me when I found out the results of my blood tests this spring.  My blood sugar was a wee bit elevated.

I explained to my sweet doctor that I had been negligent in taking my medication regularly and he suggested I keep the day organizer at my computer where I spend a lot of my day.  It worked.  It's impossible to forget my pills when they're staring me in the face all the hours I spend on the computer so I'm expecting a better blood sugar report in the fall.

I'm not perfect.  I don't eat right for one thing so taking the necessary drugs to keep me functioning well for as long as possible is something that must be done.  I have a lot of crap on my desk...many notes about one thing or another...so the little pill organizer is taking up needed space but I'll keep it there if I have to do so.

In old age, we find that we are always having to adjust the way we run our lives.  We have a lot of freedom to do whatever we want to do but, once we require medication, that's a major priority we ignore at our peril.

And so I now have to put up with this big monstrosity visually assaulting me as I type or play games on the computer.  Sigh!   

  


No comments: