Friday, June 17, 2016

Peaceful Religions??

I checked on the internet and there are 10 major religions in  our world and I'll bet they all have a loving god that teaches them to be decent and honorable human beings.  So why are so many (if not all) wars fought over religious beliefs?  Don't all religions teach you to love your fellow man?  Do any of those religions teach you to murder someone because their beliefs are different than your own?

Religion simply mystifies me.  I've known good religious people and I've know bad ones, too.  I've read about priests who molested little children...aren't priests the most religious of all??  I've read that islam is a religion of peace.  But is it that religion or offshoots of it that are producing terrorists hell bent on destroying as many innocent souls as they can??

In my day, we saw battles between protestants and catholics that were often led by their priests or ministers.  I couldn't understand it then and I sure as hell do not understand these murderous religions now.  In order to preserve your own religion, is it necessary to destroy all others?  Does anyone's god want them to use bombs or automatic rifles to murder innocent people whose lifestyle or beliefs might differ from their own?

In my internet search I also discovered that the largest "religion" now was being agnostic or atheist and I can honestly understand why.  I am an agnostic and it's because organized religion seems to be breeding hateful people who have no tolerance for anything other than their own beliefs.

The members of the Westboro baptist church are just as hateful as terrorists.  They might not kill (yet) but they have no heart when they picket military funerals and scream hateful messages at the mourners.  Is it still teaching love for your fellow man if a catholic is kicked out of the church because they marry someone of a different religion?  What kind of religion teaches hatred and intolerance for a certain group just because that group doesn't follow the rules of their religion?

It's been many years since I had trust and belief in organized religion.  I understood at a young age that there was more hate than love taught in church.  Most of us were disgusted by the terrorist who murdered 49 people at a gay nightclub in Orlando but darned if one of the talk show evangelists didn't say he agreed with it.  If this is religion, they can keep it.  I want no part in any religion that spews hatred.

   

No comments: