Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Smokers

I'm a lifelong non-smoker who literally can barely breathe when I'm around a smoker.  This always leaves me wondering if smokers care at all about the effect their addiction has on other people.  They were very angry when buildings became smoke free and they had to take their stinky habit outside...why would they think they had the right to foul the air that the rest of us breathe??

My husband began smoking at age 16 and continued until about a month before he died of esophageal cancer (probably caused by his smoking).  I was forced to inhale second hand smoke all those years but I would never do that again.  Knowing my own personal rights now, I would have done what Kellie did with Matt...make a choice, smoking or me!

It's not a simple thing to deny non-smokers smoke free air to breathe.  It's truly a selfish, ignorant act on the part of the smoker who insists on spreading these cancer ridden agents into the lungs of people who don't smoke.  Dennis seemed to understand this the few times he was able to kick the habit but conveniently forgot as soon as he was hooked again.

I believe smokers know that, even though they might smoke outside, the smoke remains in their lungs when they come inside and spew it out with every breath they take.  That was always my first clue when Dennis began smoking after a clean spell.  I would smell the smoke on his breath as he walked by me.  I never nagged him to quit but I did beg.  It did no good, though, because he was thoroughly addicted.

I've had a smoke free home since Dennis passed away from that horrible disease that definitely could have been caused by smoking but I'm still at the mercy of one of my neighbors who smokes on their balcony.  I have no idea how far away they are but the stink travels from their balcony, through my patio doors, and right across the room to where I sit at my desk.  Is this fair to me?  No!

Dennis smoked at least a pack of cigarettes a day and in today's dollars that would have cost him $10 a day to pollute his lungs and anyone near him.  I think this is absolutely crazy!  Why would anyone start smoking when the cost and effect are so horrible?

My mother, who also died from lung cancer, was a chain smoker and her ugly habit of sticking an unlit cigarette to her lip was one of the reasons I never started smoking.  Thank you, Mom!  She died at 64 as a result of her addiction to cigarettes.  We all know of many, many more people who followed the same path to illness and death because they foolishly lit that first cigarette.

Two of my three daughter smoked at one time but were able to quit quite a while ago.  I'm grateful for their determination which will no doubt add years to their lives.  I worried a lot about both of them because both have slightly damaged lungs (due to when they smoked, I wonder??).

Dennis was one of the most strong willed people I've ever known and he was unable or unwilling to stop smoking permanently until the month before he died...way too late.  I can only assume he'd reached a desperation point with his cancer and that was why he quit.  Talk about stubborn and strong willed...he had heart stents put in when his arteries became clogged but he wouldn't admit they'd clogged because of his smoking.  He even argued with the cardiologist that smoking didn't cause heart disease.  Did I also mention that Dennis truly was one of the most intelligent people I've ever known?  It's amazing how even very intelligent people can fool themselves to believe their addiction isn't causing them any harm.

And so, smokers, do your best to quit before cancer or heart disease grabs your ass and kills you.  If you don't smoke, don't start.  Simple as that!  

   

No comments: