Monday, August 29, 2016

Be Proud Of Who You Are

One of my friends who happens to be white has a grandchild of color.  I really hate even expressing skin color like this but it is important for this blog.

Vicki posted a photo of this glorious little boy on Facebook on his first day of kindergarten and worries about him being subjected to meanness and prejudice.  I look at his precious little smiling face, so excited to be starting school and wonder who could say or do something to dampen his spirit...because of his skin color????  It can happen.  Some people have cold hearts and small minds.  I hope his family have explained that there are such evil people in the world but they don't count in the long run.  I hope he has been taught to be proud of himself...I'm sure he has.  I hope this tiny little boy is strong enough and protected enough to withstand whatever is tossed at him by ignorant people who could be cruel enough to demean a child because of his skin color...which is actually very beautiful and I wish mine was as lovely.

We all judge each other and that's natural but shouldn't we concentrate on the character of a person rather than their pigment, religious affiliation, financial status, etc.?  How did we come to associate skin color with value?  We have a long way to go when it comes to logic.

I so hope this sweet, innocent child can draw on the love of his family to keep him strong against the cruelty in this crazy world.

No comments: