Saturday, August 27, 2016

Scams

There have always been scammers, people who will lie and cheat to rob the gullible but we're seeing a lot more of it today.  Maybe that's because it's being reported on the news now.

I love surfing around on Youtube and usually end up somewhere I didn't intend but is interesting and informative.  Yesterday I watched videos of scammers at work...they didn't know they were being taped.  These people have no conscience.  They will say anything in order to get you to send them money under false pretenses and they don't care if it's your last dime.

Many of the scams are old hat now but new ones rise up every day.  It's amazing how anyone can fall for them but enough do to support their industry.  Dr. Phil has interviewed many middle aged (usually) women who are so desperate for love that they send all of their savings and even the proceeds of their homes to men they've never even met in person.  There are older men who get caught up in the same scam, too.

I just made it a habit to respond to no-one I don't know on the phone or internet.  Statistics Canada (maybe) has been hounding me for months to give them information over the phone and I won't do it.  I find it hilarious that they're hounding a little old lady and threatening her.  They tell me it's mandatory for me to answer their questions over the phone but I just tell them no.  I doubt very much they'll throw me in jail but, if they do, it should make great reading in the newspaper.  Maybe I'll write a letter to the editor today!

Never answer questions over the phone, research before replying to a letter or e-mail, NEVER send money!





No comments: