Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Meditation Class #4

Donna and I attended our 4th meditation class today...Faye had company.  Faye and Wayne did come over to the Senior Center when we finished and had lunch with us, though.

I'm pretty well stuck on using my breathing or a consistent noise to achieve meditation.  We learn different approaches each week but none seem to work for me as well as the breathing.  I half way wondered if I was wasting my time but I accept that what doesn't work for me today might work later on so it's good to learn them.

One of today's lessons was to close our eyes and let our minds wander, allowing any thoughts in and recognizing how they affect our bodies.  I felt it was too broad a subject because my head can travel through many thoughts in moments.  Sometimes I don't even have time to assess how they affect me.  I tend to dismiss any thoughts that start to irritate me and go on to happier thoughts so maybe I'm not a good subject for that particular practice.

Anyway, I do use the breathing meditation a lot, usually when I'm having a bit of trouble falling asleep and it's working well.  It seems to me that I should stick with what works but keep my mind open to other possibilities.

I'm very glad we decided to take this class and we lucked out on a good teacher.  My only complaint is that she's so soft spoken that we old people don't catch every word she says and it could be that we're missing some important ones.  I won't repeat the course but I feel I've learned enough to have made it worth while.

No comments: